Storytelling for Documentary
This course is eligible for bursary funding
This exciting and original two-day course will help you improve your skills in story-telling and structuring of factual programmes and documentaries.
Devised and taught by award-winning documentary maker, Kevin Hull, this course takes you through the basic techniques and elements of story-telling. You practice your new skills in a series of practical film-making exercises, so you will be able to make a well-constructed piece – whatever the subject. You will study the way successful film-makers have structured their work, and learn about the different types of story.
- Introduction - what is story in documentary, and why is it needed?
- Exercise – the story-circle and how it is used
- Case study – the basics of story.
- Exercise in visual narrative - how story works within a shot.
- Viewing and feedback.
- Structure – exploring the elements used to construct a narrative.
- Exercise in structuring.
- Viewing and feedback.
- Story types - what kinds of story are there, and which will work for your idea.
- Exercise practising one of the most basic story types.
- Viewing and Feedback.
- Written exercise in finding and shaping good story ideas
- Case studies of story elements and other possible structuresNB. Course content and structure may vary depending on number of delegates and their levels of experience.
Do I need to bring anything to the course?It’s advisable to bring a pen and some notepaper. Otherwise, all you need is a receptive mind and your energy and enthusiasm.
Is lunch provided?We keep you replenished with teas, coffee, biscuits and fruit. We don’t provide lunch – although there are a number of sandwich shops, cafes, restaurants close by, as well as a supermarket.
What if I have to cancel?If you cancel more than 10 working days before the course date, you will get a full refund. If you cancel with less notice, or once the course has been confirmed the full course fees are still due. We will however endeavour to get you onto to a future course as and when we have a spare space. Although this cannot be guaranteed and will usually involve you being offered the place at short notice, we have a great track record of making sure people get their training – even it takes a bit of time.
Times10am - 5:30pm (Please arrive at 9.15am for course induction on day 1.)
Cancellations must be in writing and must be received at least 10 working days prior to the course date or the full fee will be charged. DV Talent reserves the right to cancel courses at any time (e.g. if there are insufficient enrolments) without liability, and delegates will be offered an alternative date or full refund. In booking a course, you are acknowledging you have read and accepted our Terms and Conditions.