Avid Media Composer - Advanced
This practical 2 day course builds on our ‘Intro to Avid Media Composer’, teaching more in-depth craft and technical skills needed to edit more professionally. By the end of the two days trainees will be able to edit a project to an online broadcast standard, using the more advanced effects and tools within Avid's MC. Introducing the effects-building interface, colour grading techniques will be taught as well as key framing effects, working with green screen and advanced tilling using the Title Tool. Track laying and Sound mixing for polished audio will also be covered in detail.
Development Producers, Assistant Producers, Producer/Directors or similar with a good handle on the basics of editing who want to be able to improve both their technical knowledge of the software and editing skills in order to create more polished cuts for use online and for broadcast.
You should have attended the 'Editing on Avid MC' course at Developing Talent, or have equivalent working knowledge. Delegates will be sent a detailed booking form before the course so that we can gauge their experience and objectives and tailor the course accordingly.
- Customizing and saving personalized settings.
- Overview of editing workflow: logging clips, creating sub-clips, bins, folders and labels, putting clips into the timeline using keyboard shortcuts.
- Fine Tuning: polishing the edit, JKL editing, editing 'on the fly'. Keyboard mapping
- Advanced Effects: motion key framing, multi-screen split screen, blurring shots, applying effects to multiple clips.
- Advanced Sound: getting sound ready for broadcast, applying and customizing sound effects, using the audio mix tool
- Colour Correction: choosing and creating a specific look, scene matching, skin tone adjustment, improving the composition of shots.
- Titles: creating titles, creating scrolling credits and key framing for customization. Creating idents.
- Green Screen: keying using chroma key and Spectramate filters.
- Exporting: Customising exports for various platforms including youtube, vimeo, iphone and ipad.
- Feedback on Projects: a final review and discuss of the projects trainees have been working on over the past two days.
Our tutors are all award-winning, acclaimed and active editors, whose credits range from Dispatches and Cutting Edges to music videos and commercials, from TV dramas like Dr Who to feature films and shorts.
Do I need to bring anything to the course?It’s advisable to bring a pen and some notepaper. Otherwise, all you need is a receptive mind and your energy and enthusiasm.Is lunch provided?We keep you replenished with teas, coffee, biscuits and fruit. We don’t provide lunch – although there are a number of sandwich shops, cafes, restaurants close by, as well as a supermarket.What if I have to cancel?If you cancel more than 10 working days before the course date, you will get a full refund. If you cancel with less notice, or once the course has been confirmed the full course fees are still due. We will however endeavour to get you onto to a future course as and when we have a spare space. Although this cannot be guaranteed and will usually involve you being offered the place at short notice, we have a great track record of making sure people get their training – even it takes a bit of time.
Maximum 8 people but usually 4-6.
10:00-17:30 (please arrive 15 minutes early for induction on the first day)
Cancellations must be in writing and must be received at least 10 working days prior to the course date or the full fee will be charged. DV Talent reserves the right to cancel courses at any time (e.g. if there are insufficient enrolments) without liability, and delegates will be offered an alternative date or full refund. In booking a course, you are acknowledging you have read and accepted our Terms and Conditions.