Avid Media Composer - Intro
This course is eligible for bursary funding
A comprehensive introduction to Avid's latest, updated and improved professional desktop editing system, Media Composer 6. This course will not only teach you how to get the best out of the software, but also develop your ability to craft a story - whether you are editing for broadcast or the web, film or corporate. The course is structured so that each delegate is taken step-by-step through the editing software, from the basic set-up, workflow and project management to progressively more sophisticated tools and techniques - including shortcuts, basic effects and compression methods - working on projects as they go so that they are implementing immediately what they are taught.
Producers, directors, APs, researchers and others looking to learn the Avid Media Composer interface including shortcuts and better workflow management in order to edit rough cuts or taster tapes. The course is also beneficial for those looking to improve their directing skills by acquiring a better understanding of how sequences are put together. This course is particularly aimed at those multi-skilling film-makers looking to develop their versatility, creativity and employability.
None. Some participants may have extensive experience of sitting in on edits, while others may have taught themselves (or been taught) rudimentary Avid MC (or another edit software), while yet others may be complete novices. Our small class sizes means we can cater for a breadth of experience and backgrounds while ensuring each person gets plenty of one-on-one input from the tutor.
- Creating a Project: how to set up and manage your media, create an efficient workflow; organise bins and timelines to best effect; creating a folder hierarchy, copying/Moving a project; deleting media and keeping your project tidy.
- Importing Media: how to import and capture footage from different sources.
- The Fundamentals of editing: marking clips and making sub-clips; making overwrite edits and inserting clips; manipulating clips and editing in the timeline; replacing edits, deleting clips and single-sided and two-sided trimming.
- Customising your project and getting to know the interface and shortcuts.
- Working with Text and adding graphics: text generators, adding motion to text, creating an animated title and working with Live Type.
- Basic sound mixing
- Finishing and Outputting: import media, export media for a variety of projects.
- How to manage your project and meet the objectives of your programme.
Our tutors are all award-winning, acclaimed and active editors, whose credits range from Dispatches and Cutting Edges to music videos and commercials, from TV dramas like Dr Who to feature films and shorts.
Do I need to bring anything to the course?It’s advisable to bring a pen and some notepaper. Otherwise, all you need is a receptive mind and your energy and enthusiasm.Is lunch provided?We keep you replenished with teas, coffee, biscuits and fruit. We don’t provide lunch – although there are a number of sandwich shops, cafes, restaurants close by, as well as a supermarket.What if I have to cancel?If you cancel more than 10 working days before the course date, you will get a full refund. If you cancel with less than 10 days' notice, or once the course has been confirmed, the full course fees are still due. We will however endeavour to get you onto to a future course as and when we have a spare space. Although this cannot be guaranteed and will usually involve you being offered the place at short notice, we have a great track record of making sure people get their training – even it takes a bit of time.
8 maximum (usually 4-6)
10am - 5:30pm (please arrive 15 minutes early for induction on the first day)
Cancellations must be in writing and must be received at least 10 working days prior to the course date or the full fee will be charged. DV Talent reserves the right to cancel courses at any time (e.g. if there are insufficient enrolments) without liability, and delegates will be offered an alternative date or full refund. In booking a course, you are acknowledging you have read and accepted our Terms and Conditions.