Intro to FCPX
This course is eligible for bursary funding
A comprehensive introduction to FCPX, the latest, radically new incarnation of Apple's ever-popular editing software. This course will not only teach you how to get the best out of the software, but also develop your ability to craft a story - whether you are editing for broadcast or the web, film or corporate.
The course is structured so that each delegate is taken step-by-step through the editing software, from the basic set-up, workflow and project management to progressively more sophisticated tools and techniques working on actual broadcast and online film projects as they go so that they are implementing immediately what they are taught.
FCPX is a departure in Apple's evolution of its Final Cut Pro editing software - and is aimed as much at consumers as the professional market. In particular, FCPX is designed for working across different platforms - tablets as well as laptops or desktops. With that in mind, this course caters for all levels - beginners through to seasoned professionals - who are looking both to learn the FCPX interface as well as honing their craft editing skills.
None. Some participants may have extensive experience of sitting in on edits, while others may have taught themselves (or been taught) rudimentary FCP (or another edit software), while yet others may be complete novices. Our small class size means we can cater for a breadth of experience and backgrounds while ensuring each person gets plenty of one-on-one input from the tutor.
- Creating a Project: how to set up and manage your media, create an efficient workflow; organise bins and timelines to best effect; creating a folder hierarchy, copying/Moving a project; deleting media and keeping your project tidy.
- Importing Media: how to import and capture footage from different sources.
- The Fundamentals of editing: marking clips and making sub-clips; making overwrite edits and inserting clips; manipulating clips and editing in the timeline; replacing edits, deleting clips and single-sided and two-sided trimming.
- Customising your project and getting to know the interface and shortcuts.
- Working with Text and adding graphics: text generators, adding motion to text, creating an animated title and working with Live Type.
- Basic sound mixing
- Finishing and Outputting: import media, export media for a variety of projects.
- How to manage your project and meet the objectives of your programme.
Our tutors are all award-winning, acclaimed and active editors, whose credits range from Dispatches and Cutting Edges to music videos and commercials, from TV dramas like Dr Who to features films and shorts.
Do I need to bring anything to the course?It’s advisable to bring a pen and some notepaper. Otherwise, all you need is a receptive mind and your energy and enthusiasm.Is lunch provided?We keep you replenished with teas, coffee, biscuits and fruit. We don’t provide lunch – although there are a number of sandwich shops, cafes, restaurants close by, as well as a supermarket.What if I have to cancel?If you cancel more than 10 working days before the course date, you will get a full refund. If you cancel with less than 10 days' notice, or once the course has been confirmed, the full course fees are still due. We will however endeavour to get you onto to a future course as and when we have a spare space. Although this cannot be guaranteed and will usually involve you being offered the place at short notice, we have a great track record of making sure people get their training – even it takes a bit of time.
Maximum 8 people but usually 4-6.
10:00-17:30 (please arrive 15 minutes early for induction on the first day)
Cancellations must be in writing and must be received at least 10 working days prior to the course date or the full fee will be charged. DV Talent reserves the right to cancel courses at any time (e.g. if there are insufficient enrolments) without liability, and delegates will be offered an alternative date or full refund. In booking a course, you are acknowledging you have read and accepted our Terms and Conditions.