Essential Skills for Factual Production Co-Ordinators
A hands-on, highly interactive 2-day course that will give you a solid grounding in the skills, responsiblities, methods and best-practices involved in working as a production coordinator on both broadcast and cross-platform projects.
Taught by an award-winning head of production, the course takes you step-by-step through the key stages of a production as well as the essential tasks and skills needed to be a co-ordinator, from monitoring costs to scheduling, from setting up location shoots to contracting artists, from booking and negotiating kit to clearances and rights.
The course is taught through a series of practical tasks and exercises taken from real-life productions.
"Very informative, engaging and educational"
"I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Ally was a fantastic instructor, made me feel at ease and I learnt a lot. The course covered all the things I wanted to learn more about and I came away with the confidence I needed to make the move into production."
"The course has given me the confidence I needed to go for Coordinator roles"
This course is designed for production assistants, secretaries or junior production co-ordinators who want to build their knowledge and confidence in order to excel at production co-ordinating, or others who are looking to take on PC duties.
None. Delegates will be sent a detailed booking form before the course so we can gauge their experience and objectives and tailor the course accordingly.
- Introduction to the role of the Production Coordinator within production management; what makes a good PC?
- How to work under pressure and importance of prioritising
- Maintaining a good working relationship with the Production Manager, and the production team
- Setting up shoots in the UK, and abroad, including managing locations
- Negotiating location and contributor fees
- Understanding the technical aspects of the production - from cameras to edit suites
- Working with demanding production teams - facilitating the shoot whilst managing the budget
- Budgets and managing your components of it
- Introduction to how the PM will create a budget and how the PC can be included in that process
- Petty Cash floats and processing expenses, including systems for tracking cash, reconciliations, understanding and calculating Vat
- Post- production and new technology - understanding the processes of what goes on after filming has finished and cost implications
- Delivables, compliance and post-production paperwork
Ally Jenkins is an award-winning head of production whose credits include the original landmark series of Coast, the Hairy Bikers, Cutting Edges, Channel 4's That Paralympic Show, Rip Off Britain, The One Show, as well as scores of multi-platform and ad funded projects.
Do I need to bring anything to the course?It’s advisable to bring a pen and some notepaper. Otherwise, all you need is a receptive mind and your energy and enthusiasm.Is lunch provided?We keep you replenished with teas, coffee, biscuits and fruit. We don’t provide lunch – although there are a number of sandwich shops, cafes, restaurants close by, as well as a supermarket.What if I have to cancel?If you cancel more than 10 working days before the course date, you will get a full refund. If you cancel with less than 10 days' notice, or once the course has been confirmed, the full course fees are still due. We will however endeavour to get you onto to a future course as and when we have a spare space. Although this cannot be guaranteed and will usually involve you being offered the place at short notice, we have a great track record of making sure people get their training – even it takes a bit of time.
Maximum 8 people but usually 4-6.
10:00-17:30 (please arrive 15 minutes early for induction on the first day)
Cancellations must be in writing and must be received at least 10 working days prior to the course date or the full fee will be charged. DV Talent reserves the right to cancel courses at any time (e.g. if there are insufficient enrolments) without liability, and delegates will be offered an alternative date or full refund. In booking a course, you are acknowledging you have read and accepted our Terms and Conditions.