Shoot & Direct: Canon XF305
This highly practical, intensive course will teach you everything you need to know to get filming with confidence on the Canon XF305, the workhorse camera of the TV industry.
Structured so that the crucial theory is interspersed with hands-on exercises, the course will take you step-by-step through setting it up to film with full manual control, teach you the camera’s technical strengths (and weaknesses), record broadcast quality sound, as well as showing you how to handle the tapeless workflow.
More than simply covering the technical aspects of the camera for self-shooters, though, the course will also teach you key directing skills including framing, shot composition, building sequences, and shooting for the edit, so you can film material for broadcast.
- Checking your kit and pre-shoot prep and connecting additional kit
- Camera and menu set up for HD, SD and online shoots
- Handling the focus, depth of field and macro
- Creating Multiplatform Content for different platforms: web-based videos compression and encoding issues, the difficulties of handheld, pan and image overload, the importance of tripods, target audiences and usage of content
- Sound – manual and automatic record settings: selecting and positioning the right mic, phantom power, line inputs and using radio mics
- Shot sizes and framing for 16:9/4:3/14:9. The Rule of Thirds and framing for online
- Manual and Auto Exposure: using ND filters, manual gain, iris and shutter speeds
- Manual and Auto White Balance
- Interlaced and progressive scan filming
- Using tripods and hand-held techniques
- Filming Controllable action - building sequences, getting edit points
- Filming Uncontrollable/ Observational action – what you need to know
- Lighting for Cross Platform Projects: Best use of available light, three point lighting, contrast issues
- Capturing Content – dealing with tapeless workflows, handling formats
- DV Talent Health and Safety Session – handouts on compliance and editorial for broadcast and online. Includes issues around filming, ethics of secret filming, chronology and potential problems self-shooters encounter
Maximum 8 people but usually 4-6.
Times10:00-17:30 (please arrive 15 minutes early for induction on the first day)
Cancellations must be in writing and must be received at least 10 working days prior to the course date or the full fee will be charged. DV Talent reserves the right to cancel courses at any time (e.g. if there are insufficient enrolments) without liability, and delegates will be offered an alternative date or full refund. In booking a course, you are acknowledging you have read and accepted our Terms and Conditions.